Vista Del Norte sits on part of the former 2,596-acre ranch that was founded by Charles Walker Sr. from Savannah, GA in 1905. Walker’s grandson operated the ranch until 1972. Much of the property was then sold to Dallas developer and former Mayor Robert Folsom. Folsom Investments agreed in 1974 to sell 321 acres to the San Antonio River Authority for a flood control project. Plans were then drawn up for residential subdivisions and apartments for the balance of the land, including a 262-acre golf course.
The land is crisscrossed by both Panther Springs Creek and Salado Creek. Due to the confluence of the creeks, this site was likely occupied by Spanish soldiers and settlers in the 1700s. Later the area served as ranch headquarters for the mission rancho of Monte Galvan, and the ranch provided food and animals for the Mission San Antonio de Valero—now known as the Alamo.
Now in the 21st century, frequent glimpses can still be caught of the wildlife that roamed the area over 300 years ago – deer, coyote, owls, and even the countless squirrels – that brought the first people to live here in this land full of natural beauty.
Click to Edit